I love butternut squash because of its nutty and delicious squash flavor. It reminds me so much of fall and becomes a regular companion in my home especially in November and December. It is easy to roast in cubes for an easy side dish. However, my absolute favorite way to enjoy this delicious vegetable is to use it in a creamy butternut squash soup. Find the recipe below!
- 2 butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat inside of squash with olive oil and place it cut side down on the cookie sheet. Bake 50 minutes, or until can be easily pierced with a fork
- Use spoon to scoop squash from the peel and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat in large pot. Add in onion, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon. Cover pot and cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add squash and 5 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon.
- Purée soup in blender then return the soup to the pot. Season with salt and pepper.