Nothing screams "November is here" more then the delicious aroma of a roasted sweet potato in the oven. I like to mash these up as a substitute to white mashed potatoes because it is healthier and provides a richer, deeper, and more satisfying flavor. This recipe can be used any time you have some extra sweet potatoes on hand, or can be added to your list of dishes for the Thanksgiving holiday. I like the addition of greek yogurt instead of cream because it makes the dish lighter. You could also substitute the maple syrup with agave or honey if you wanted. I also will add some cayenne pepper to create a little heat and add another dimension of flavor.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and fill with cold water to cover the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes in a colander, shaking the colander to help remove excess water. Pour the potatoes into a large bowl.
- Add maple syrup, cinnamon, and Greek yogurt to the sweet potatoes. Mash to your desired texture and enjoy.