Sometimes I have massive cravings for some french fries, but have to forget about my devilish feelings so that I don't gain that unwanted summer weight. Luckily there are so many alternatives out there now days that offer just as much, if not more, of the same delightful flavors that french fries offer. This recipe uses eggplant in lieu of fries and opts for baking instead of frying. It is a flavorful and healthier way to solve those cravings. Enjoy!
- 2 baby eggplants
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups panko
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice your eggplant into very thin strips.
- Whisk two egg whites in a medium-large bowl.
- Add panko, breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to a zip-closed bag and shake.
- Place a handful of your raw eggplant fries into the bowl with the egg whites and coat well.
- Place egg white coated eggplant fries into the panko/breadcrumb mixture and shake all around to coat the fries with the mixture.
- Place your coated eggplant fries onto your pan (not overlapping) and cook about 10-12 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
- Once out of the oven, sprinkle with salt and devour
Get the Find Veggies app
Local Organic Delivery in San Diego